We proclaim October 24 as the 2011 Spina Bifida Day of Prayer. October is Spina Bifida Awareness Month, and there is much to pray for in the Spina Bifida community. Please pass this on to your Facebook friends, church groups, prayer circles, coworkers, families, and anyone who believes in the power of prayer
Let us pray together. Here are a few suggestions for your prayers:
1. Awareness. Spina Bifida is the most common permanently disabling birth defect in the United States, yet no one knows what it is. (What is Spina Bifida? http://kidshealth.org/pare
2. The medical community. We pray that the medical community would understand the birth defect and its related issues. We pray that obstetricians would be educated about Spina Bifida and will give expectant parents the diagnosis accurately and compassionately. We pray for continued research and medical advancements to improve the lives of children and adults with Spina Bifida, to find ways of preventing Spina Bifida, and to find a cure.
3. The parents. We pray for the parents who find out their unborn child has Spina Bifida, that you would give them hope and peace beyond all understanding to make the decision to give life. (64% of pregnancies affected by Spina Bifida are terminated.) We pray for the parents who watch their children (young and old) struggle with the challenges of Spina Bifida, that they would be given the strength they need to get through each day and the wisdom to raise their children as you want them to be raised.
4. Children and adults with Spina Bifida. We pray that you would make them lights in a dark world, to be instruments of your divine purpose and will. We pray for their physical wellness, but also for them to use the challenges you gave them to bring you glory.
I'd like to add a few more specific prayer requests for our family.
1. Pray for Carson's body. Each day I ask the Lord that He would protect his body and heal his body. I ask that the Lord would strengthen his legs and heal his legs.... Increase his function and use.
2. Pray for Carson's spirit. I also pray that Carson would have a sweet, and Godly spirit. I pray that the Lord would work in and through Him for His glory. I pray that Carson would grow into a Godly young man who seeks to serve and please the Lord in his life.
3. Pray for Carson's care... There are so many decisions that we make on a daily basis in regards to Carson's therapy, or medical care. Please pray that we would have wisdom to make the right and best decisions.
"Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. " - Matthew 18:19-20