Day 9 and the trip to...nowhere. We were so looking forward to going home today but it was not to be. The neurologists visited Carson this morning and cleared him to go home with us but the nurse practitioner put the brakes on because they weren't comfortable with the sore on his back combined with his two hour long ride in the car seat.
The hope is now that tomorrow they will allow us to take him... all the way across the street to the Ronald McDonald House. Unfortunately it looks like we will not be home this weekend, instead they would rather us be nearby in case anything occurs so the McDonald House is looking like an option to at least take him out of the hospital. Even that is looking bleak after they ran the thoughts through again this evening, so we are hoping at least that will happen.
One of the hardest parts is that they don't even have clear reasoning on why they are holding him. If the neurologists cleared him, you would think they would have a definitive reason to override them. Instead it seems like they are uncertain of the idea because of risk and then follow that up by being uncertain of why they are uncertain. I don't want to rail on them too harshly because the hospital and department as a whole have done a great job, it is just frustrating to be in the holding pattern as they ponder risks that will still exist a week or weeks from now with no better solutions.
Our timing is not God's timing and though we do not understand we will continue to trust in Him for what is best. As He directs and guides in each event we need to let our grip (and gripes) go and trust in His perfect wisdom. You also quickly feel like a selfish heel when there are parents in the same nicu that are months past their child's birth and still waiting.
Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. We are saddened that we will not be able to see some of you as soon as we had hoped, but we do look forward to that day with even greater anticipation now. We love you all!
Hurry it up down there, rookie!